With more than 95 million members worldwide, Friendster is a leading global online social network, is the #1 social network in Asia and a top 20 website in terms of traffic! Friendster is also the #2 web site in the Philippines and a top 5 web site in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia on Alexa.
Friendster is focused on helping people stay in touch with friends and discover new people and things that are important to them. Online adults, 18 and up, choose Friendster to connect with friends, family, school, social groups, activities and interests. Friendster prides itself in delivering an easy-to-use, friendly and interactive environment where users can easily connect with anyone around the world via web or mobile from any Internet ready mobile device. Friendster has a growing portfolio of patents granted to the company on social networking, with more expected over the next several months. Headquartered in Mountain View, California, Friendster is backed by Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Benchmark Capital, DAG Ventures, IDG Ventures and individual investors.
Friendster is seeking an experienced team member to help drive Friendster’s PR projects, PR events and PR initiatives throughout Asia surrounding Friendster’s web site, mobile site, new product initiatives and new revenue initiatives.
The Manager, PR and Events will play a major role in securing and growing the number of speaking engagements, conferences, events, and coverage that Friendster participates in and receives in Asia and globally. The role will focus on both consumer-related and industry-related PR opportunities and events and will be a primary point of contact for planning conferences, events and media coverage. This person will not be a spokesperson for the company but will work very closely with the spokespersons for the company and the rest of the Friendster marketing staff.
The role requires the rapid review and assessment of key PR opportunities for Friendster throughout Asia and globally. The perfect candidate is a friendly “people person” and creative individual who can build compelling proposals for media and for event/conference organizers that generate Friendster media exposure, top-notch speaking opportunities, public event sponsorships, and more overall brand exposure. You will also find yourself drafting press releases and press statements, scheduling press interviews, and managing postings and comments on top-tier blogs. As the PR manager you will also be conducting press outreach surrounding formal press announcements, PR tours and executive/spokesperson press meetings and public speaking opportunities.
As the PR manager you will be traveling to events and conferences in the Philippines and on occasion, throughout Asia. This person must have a thorough understanding of the local and regional media climate, industry conferences and events pertaining to consumer internet, social networking, social media, mobile, and entertainment. This person will also know how to best find and negotiate key speaking and sponsorship opportunities for Friendster at flagship events and conferences. Additionally, you will oversee the Friendster global events calendar and manage key deadlines, details and dates regarding marketing collateral and material needed for each opportunity. All opportunities will be “vetted” internally with the global marketing team based on weekly calls where each opportunity will be presented to the team and rated on a set of Friendster evaluation criteria. This person will also be responsible for exceeding PR and event opportunity quarterly goals, while staying within an allocated PR/event budget.
To be successful in this role:
- Has minimum of 5 years public relations or integrated marketing communications experience, and has 8 to 10 years of total work experience, a majority of which should be in the consumer-facing PR, entertainment or media space, and in the Philippines or Asia. Proven experience with consumer-related Internet companies is also strongly preferred.
- Is experienced developing and executing communications strategies and plans that are aligned with client goals or business objectives.
- Has a demonstrated track record creating and deploying successful regional and national communications outreach and events with quantifiable results and promoting those results to internal team in a meaningful way.
- Has experience working comfortably in a fast-paced environment and effectively prioritizing, managing and delivering successfully on multiple projects at once, all while setting and meeting demanding deadlines.
- Maintains established network of high-profile local, regional and national business news, consumer media and conference/event contacts.
- Must be an outgoing, social business person in the PR, events, entertainment industry and conduct him/herself in a professional, ethical manner at all times as a representative of the Friendster brand within the region.
- Must be familiar with top-tier tech and industry blogs and wikis (e.g., Wikipedia) and comfortable with drafting responses and editing them with key Friendster messaging.
- Must have experience in consumer internet and entertainment-related events (music, movies, television, publications, multimedia, gaming) and be able to identify key thought leaders and media that cover such events.
- Has expertise in presenting. This role will explain and sell the Friendster market position and current product features to event and conference organizers via telephone, in-person presentations and live site demos.
- Has a basic understanding of regional Asian languages and where they’re spoken. Fluency in Bahasa Indonesia, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Malay, or Thai is a big plus.
- Possesses a solid understanding of the competitive landscape including online, offline competitive offerings and the associated feature sets on those sites/in those products.
- Is passionate about Friendster and the Friendster community, be an active user of Friendster and understand the product inside and out.
- Must be smart, a strategic thinker, full of good ideas, creative, persistent, agile and driven.
- Should be comfortable with the realities that, in the short-term, this position may not have any direct reports and that he/she will be responsible for developing and managing key events and speaking opportunities, and executing as an individual contributor. Yet, able to help build a team in the future.
- Like any successful contributor in a startup, must have the ability to be a “great athlete” and take on different roles and projects as needed by the company over time.
- Must have the ability to work efficiently with minimal supervision with strong prioritization skills.
- Has excellent verbal, written, communication and presentation skills.
- In terms of education, a four-year university degree, BA/ BS or its equivalent, is required.
In return we will provide you with a fast-paced, fun environment with smart people and an opportunity to learn, grow and succeed. A great job in a cutting edge field at the top-20 global web site property in the world with a wealth of potential. If you are ready to for the challenge then please apply to the link below or for more details call Louise Beach on +61 2 9251 9980 ext 1304
To apply please send your resume to email@example.com. Please be sure to reference this position title in the subject line of your email.